You may have read that I’m planning on climbing Mt. Rainier this summer. Yup, signed up, forked over some dough (eeks), and so the only thing that’s stopping me is, well…myself. Barring inclement weather, that is.
As my August climb date approaches, my focus on preparation and training increases. When I asked around my apparently-large circle of crunchy outdoorsy friends who have actually summited this peak, the first question nearly everyone asked was, “So, how many times have you done thosestairs?”
You know, those stairs. I knew exactly the ones to which they were referring.
So as I was huffing and puffing up my first round of scaling the steps, I thought, “I’m gonna count these suckers. That’ll keep my mind busy. Yeah. Like a mantra.” Guess what? Thanks to my monkey mind, it took me several times to actually remember to count, and a heck of a lot of effort to stay focused enough to make it through the whole set of counting without mentally straying.
At any rate, I counted and double-counted, and so now I have a number. Two, actually.
But more importantly, an idea for a contest!
Contest! Wha? What do I have to do? Here’s the skinny:
- Sign up for our email list. (Current subscribers won’t have to, yay!)
- In the comments below, tell us your guesses of the following (make sure we can contact you):
1) number of stairs in the chain of staircases pictured above (for Seattleites that want to get really technical, only the bit between Lakeview and 10th, not counting the under-the-freeway stairs)
2) number of cycles (that’s up and down) I ran these on first attempt
- That’s it! Winners will be announced in the comments Friday, February 12th.
What’ll I get if I win, Phyzz?
One of my earliest blog posts pays tribute to my geeky nature and penchant for portable audio, especially since not every office around town here has the luxury of an ipod speaker dock. I have two mini “hamburger” speakers to give away to two lucky peeps. Here’s what they look like:
So what are you waiting for? Comment away! Yay for our first contest!